About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Battle Report 14

Finally I have a much more balanced game than the past 2 games, and it ended a draw this time (bad decisions by me, admittedly). So yeah, it seems that Imperial Knights are not overpowered. They are very good, and I really mean very good, but they're not invincible, they're not indestructible and they're not undefeatable.

Anyway, I used the same list as I did for the previous game, which is my Knight Paladin, Knight Errant, Knight Warden, 2 Tech-priests Dominus, 10 Skitarii Vanguard, 3 Kataphron Destroyers with palsma culverins and 5 Skitarii Rangers. My opponent brough 3 Rune Priests - 2 of them on bikes, Lorgar on a wolf sled, 3 Thunderwolf Calvary, 1 Wulfen pack of 5, 3 squads of Longfangs that had 4 lascannons, 4 plasma cannons and 4 missile launchers divided over 3 (for example, 1 squad would have 2 lascannons, 1 missile launcher and 1 plasma cannon, the other would have 2 missile launchers, 1 lascannon and 1 plasma cannon, and the last one had 2 plasma cannons, 1 missile launcher and 1 lascannon), a Terminator squad, a Lone Wolf guy, and some Terminator character who did zilch this game.

3 Imperial Knights and an Adeptus Mechanicus Battalion!
We decided to play Eternal War because we don't have objectives, I rolled a 4, and it was the mission where we would have 4 objectives, and we gain 3 points for each objective we control when the game ends.

I deployed my Skitarii Vanguard on the first objective with my Warlord Tech-priest Dominus, and then my Skitarii Rangers on the second objective, with the Kataphron Destroyers and my second Tech-priest Dominus, and all my Imperial Knights were spread out. My opponent placed one Longfangs squad on one objective, and spread the rest out, while placing the Terminators in Teleport Strike or whatever place that is. Lone Wolf was also in Deep Strike.

Space Wolves!
Turn 1

I basically killed 3 Longfangs on the objective with my Knight Paladin and Kataphron Destroyers, because the guy rolled a few good saves. Knight Errant killed another 2 Longfangs because I rolled pretty badly for his Thermal Cannon. The Knight Warden only killed a single Wulfen. All in all, a bad shooting phase for me.

Then my opponent cast Smite and basically dumped a lot of wounds on my Knight Errant and Knight Warden, and took a few more wounds off with the Longfangs. Some failed to wound, thankfully, but my Knight Warden took 3 mortal wounds from Smite, while my Knight Errant was down to 11 or so, if I remember correctly. Then he charged Lorgar and one Rune Priest on a bike at my Knight Errant and Lorgar destroyed him in combat. Fortunately, I rolled a 6, and my Knight Errant killed the Rune Priest on a bike while dealing 2 mortal wounds to Lorgar. First blood to my opponent.

The Terminators and the Terminator dude Teleported behind my Knight Errant, but they failed their charge. This also meant they avoided the explosion and didn't take any mortal wounds. Oh well. The Lone Wolf also Deep Strike right in front of my Knight Warden.

Turn 2

This time, I succeeded in wiping out the Terminators that Deep Struck behind my Knight Errant (but failed their charge) with my Kataphron Destroyers, their plasma culverins going Supercharged and erasing them. My Skitarii Vanguard shot at the Thunderwolf Calvary, but only killed 1 of them, I think, and put a wound on another. Or did they do nothing and it was my Knight Paladin who did that? I can't remember. On the other side, my Knight Warden finally another 2 Wulfen. The Skitarii Rangers and my Tech-priest Dominus didn't kill the Terminator character, because he had a 2+ armor save. I then charged Lorgar with my Knight Paladin and the Rune Priest with my Knight Warden. Managed to kill Lorgar with my Knight Paladin, thanks to his Reaper chainsword, but the Rune Priest made his invulnerable save against my Knight Warden's Reaper chainsword. Oh well.

After the Devastator shooting and Smite, I think my Knight Paladin was reduced to 4 wounds or so, while my Knight Warden was barely hanging on by 2 or 3 wounds. The Wulfen charged him, failed to do anything, and my Knight Warden stomped them to death with Titanic Feet. I think I killed the Rune Priest on the bike who charged my Knight Paladin, also with Titanic Feet. The Terminator character failed his charge. Whoops. I think he killed one Skitarii Ranger with his thrown hammer in the shooting phase. So he's not all bad.

Turn 3

My Skitarii Vanguard erased the remaining 2 Thunderwolf Calvary with their radium carbines, I think my Knight Paladin failed to kill the Longfang on top, and so my Kataphron Destroyers killed him instead to deny him the objective. He did kill the 2 Longfangs on the other side with his rapid-fire battle cannon though so good shooting there. The Skitarii Rangers and my Tech-priest Dominus with the eradication ray killed the Terminator character. Phew. I then charged the Rune Priest with my Knight Warden, but failed to kill him in combat. Instead, the Rune Priest killed my Knight Warden, and I didn't roll a 6 this time. Oh well.

The Longfangs killed my Knight Paladin, and the Rune Priest and Lone Wolf began moving and advancing.

Turn 4

Neither of us had any units close enough to charge, so we took potshots at each other. I killed the Rune Priest with my Kataphron Destroyers, the only ones with enough range to hit anybody.

My opponent fired on my Skitarii Rangers with his Longfangs, and surprisingly enough I made the 6++ invulnerable save with bionics. Phew! His Lone Wolf continued to advance.

Turn 5

I killed the Lone Wolf with my Kataphron Destroyers, and one of them slew himself with the overcharge. Whoops. Even though I could re-roll ones, I rolled a one again, so he died. The Lone Wolf died.

The Longfangs moved down to capture one objective and continued to shoot, this time at my Kataphron Destroyers, but they failed to wound. Phew. Oh, by this time, that squad of Longfangs was the only unit my opponent had on the table, while I still had 10 Skitarii Vanguard, 2 Kataphron Destroyers and 2 Tech-priests Dominus. My opponent rolled and, the game continued.

Turn 6

I did absolutely nothing because there was nothing in range. I think.

The Longfangs advanced forward, and this time it was my opponent who killed himself by supercharging his plasma cannon. But their combined firepower killed 3 more Rangers, and my Alpha ran off from battle shock after failing his morale. My opponent rolled, and the game ended.

We had 1 objective each, and thanks to my oppponent's Longfangs, he killed my Rangers who were camping on the second objective, thus denying that to me. He had First Blood, I had Slay the Warlord, so it ended up being a draw. Oh well.

Mistakes made - I should have moved my Kataphron Destroyers closer to camp on the objective and not rely solely on my Skitarii Rangers. I should have charged the Longfangs with my Knight Warden instead of the Rune Priest, maybe I would have done some damage with Titanic Feet. Oh well. What's done is done, it was a draw. At least I didn't lose, and I know I could have done better. Maybe.

Anyway, we shall see what I can do next time! I almost tabled my opponent, and would probably have tabled him if the game continued to Turn 7. It's all right, it was a fun game, and I look forward to playing more of 8th Edition!

Right, I lost all my Imperial Knights this time, but they certainly did a lot of damage while soaking a lot of damage and forcing my opponent to target-priority them. Thanks to that, my infantry survived and captured one objective (the Rangers being killed was my stupid mistake). I almost tabled my opponent again. I really like my Imperial Knight list, but I suspect I should put more bodies on the table. Maybe I should swap my Knight Errant, who's not doing so well, for Kataphron Destroyers and an Onager Dunecrawler instead, while adding more carapace weapons. We shall see.

6 comments:

  1. You didnt mention your command points, how many did you use this game or did you finish the game with all of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My opponent used all his command points by the end of turn 2, I think he re-rolled a couple of charges, and used Counter Offensive.

      I used Counter Offensive to kill the Wulfen in close combat, and re-rolls for a few stuff, like my Imperial Knight's ion shield to save against a lascannon, but I think I used 5 Command Points in total, and still had 4 left.

      Delete
    2. Cool, just looking at it (and having not had the rules in hand yet), would it have been worth spending the 2 CP to get the first strike in combat with your Knight against Lorgar in a chariot?

      Even if he still killed the Knight, it could have reduced him enough for the explosion to knock him out.

      I think that command points are the thing that we are all going to have to get used to the most.

      Really enjoyed the battle report again, looking forward to your next one, and really need to get some games in!

      Delete
    3. I can't do that because counteroffensive only allows me to swing a second unit in combat. That means Lorgar will swing first regardless.

      How counteroffensive works is that, for example, the Librarian charges my Knight Paladin, and the Wulfen charges my Knight Warden. My opponent chooses the Librarian to fight first, so we settle that fight. Then I spend 2 Command Points for Counteroffensive for my Knight Warden to swing first. I cannot use it for my Knight Paladin to swing first. It only works for my 2nd unit in combat. And in the first turn, Lorgar and my Knight Errant were the only units locked in combat (along with the Rune Priest on a bike).

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the clarification of that, I had wondered as I wrote this if there was some exception or part of the rule I hadnt seen.

      I guess it makes sense to allow that as it means that the controlling player can always get their most effective combat completed.

      At least a little worried about how quickly people get into combat in this edition, but it will be interesting to see how that plays out in our local area.

      Delete
    5. Yeah, we'll have to play more games to see how it goes! The 9" charge is a deterrent and you risk getting killed by Overwatch, as the Death Company and the Blood Angel dude found out to their detriment in the other battle report.

      Delete