About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Konor Campaign Battle Report 2

Hello, and welcome to the second battle report for Konor Campaign where my Imperial Knights continue to stand guard over the hive world of Astaramis!

This time it was a 1,500-point list, and I'm sure my opponents are sick of me bring so many Imperial Knights by now, so I cut down the number to 1. I wanted to bring 2 or 3, but I'm pretty sure my opponent would flip the table if I did that. So I instead brought an Adeptus Mechanicus Spearhead Detachment, supported by an Imperial Knight Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachment.

On the other hand, my opponent brought Necrons - this time it is the true owner of the Necrons that I played against on Saturday, so he could bring 1,500 points and his Resurrection Orb. Uh oh. Anyway, he brought 2 Command Barges, 1 Cryptek, 4 Immortal squads - 3 of them had 10 Immortals, and the 4th one only had 7 because he didn't have enough points, 1 Triarch Stalker and 1 Doom Scythe. Scary list.

The Necrons are all hiding in cover like the cowardly xenos they are!
From the Knight House of House Yato comes a single Knight Errant, supporting a bunch of Adeptus Mechanicus forces from the Forge World Draconis IV. A single Tech-priest Dominus with a volkite blaster leads a squadron of 3 Onager Dunecrawlers - 2 with neutron lasers, 1 with Icarus array, 4 Kastelan robots with 3 heavy phosphor blasters each and 1 Cybernetica Datasmith to change their protocols and repair them.

The Adeptus Mechanicus forces of Forge World Draconis IV and the Imperial Knights of House Yato march to war!

We decided to have a simple game of killpoints because we don't have the objective cards and didn't want to waste time claiming objectives. So simple is best. Thanks to me having fewer models, I got to go first, and my opponent failed to seize the initiative. Lucky me.

Turn 1

Turn 1, quite unexpectedly, turned out to be a pretty bad turn of shooting for me. My Onager Dunecrawlers did diddily with their neutron lasers, and I began regretting equipping them with such. Note to self. Neutron lasers suck against infantry. I should have fired against the Triarch Stalker, but the quantum shielding meant that it would save its wounds against a high-damage weapon like neutron lasers that deal a minimim damage of 3. My Knight Errant probably only killed one or two Immortals with his Thermal cannon, and like the neutron laser Dunecrawlers, did absolutely squat. The Onager Dunecrawler with the Icarus array fired on the Doomscythe and despite the volume of shots it made - because the Doomscythe was behind cover, it made most of its saves and I think I only did 2 damage to it at most.

The only ones that did real damage was the Kastelan robots, who erased 4 Immortals from the 7-strong squad, but one of them promptly stood back up from Reanimation Protocols next turn. Thankfully, I managed to pass my roll to change the Protocol from Aegis to Protector so that will come into effect next turn.

My opponent had hidden everyone except the Doomscythe and that 7-men Immortal squad in cover, but now he was moving everything out of cover and advancing one squad toward my Knight Errant. The Doomscythe swooped over because of its minimum movement speed, and then everything that could shoot at my Knight, including the single squad of Immortals that advanced, shot.

The Triarch Stalker hit with its twin heavy gauss cannon...only for my opponent to roll snake eyes for the To Wound rolls - he rolled 2 ones, despite it being a Strength 9 weapon. Ouch. In the end, it was the Doomscythe who did the most damage, along with several tesla shots, that reduced my poor Knight to 13 wounds. Ouch. But he was still standing after soaking up an entire army's worth of shooting, so I'm relieved.

Adeptus Mechanicus and Imperial Knights versus an awakening tomb world of Necrons - the war is on!
Turn 2

Turn 2 was a lot better for me. I moved my Knight Errant in, but as usual his thermal cannon only killed 1 or 2 Immortals. The Onager Dunecrawlers also fired on the same squad and probably took out 1 or 2 at most, and eventually they would stand back up. The Onager Dunecrawler with Icarus array managed to put about 6 more wounds on the Doomscythe, but failed to destroy it thanks to some armor saves, but it was a lot better than the 2 wounds it dealt last turn.

Then my Kastelan robots opened up with 72 shots - their Protector Protocols enabling them to shoot twice - and they all but erased a single squad of 10 Immortals by themselves. My Knight Errant then charged into the squad of 4 Immortals and stomped them into oblivion with Titanic Feet. First Blood to me, and 2 units down!

Then my opponent struck back. With his remaining units, including the Triarch Stalker and Doom Scythe, he destroyed my Knight Errant...who promptly blew up when I rolled a 6 and did D6 mortal wounds to everything within 6" of him (I rolled a 5 and a 1 for the 2D6" distance). I ended up dealing 4 mortal wounds to the nearest Immortal squad and my opponent spent 2 Command Points to make sure they don't fail their morale test. I did 6 mortal wounds to one Command Barge but only 1 mortal wound to the Warlord in the Command Barge. Ouch. Oh well.

With my Knight down, things were not looking too good for me.

Turn 3

My Kastelan robots were out of range, so I had to roll to change protocols, only for me to roll a one. Whoops. No shooting for them this turn.

My Onager Dunecrawler managed to take out the Doomscythe - finally! - with his Icarus array, but he was the only one who did something, because the rest of the Onager Dunecrawlers did little to no damage with their neutron lasers. I begin to regret equipping them with neutron lasers. Icarus array, though with the -1 penalty to their shooting, has a lot more dakka.

My opponent moved his guys up, all of them, and took potshots at my Onager Dunecrawler in the far corner. I think he did enough damage that he had 6 wounds left. However, by moving, he exposed one squad of Immortals to the range of my Kastelan robots. YAY!

Turn 4

This time I rolled and passed the test for changing their protocols, but...well, I couldn't move them this turn as the change in protocols only take effect next battle round. Ugh. 3 of my Kastelan robots could see the Immortals, and they promptly erased the 7 or so Immortals with their 54 heavy phosphor blaster shots. Yay! Another unit down, which made it 4 killpoints for me!

The Onager Dunecrawlers' neutron lasers and my Tech-priest Dominus's volkite blaster did nothing much to the squad of Immortals. On the other hand, I had my Onager Dunecrawler with Icarus array shoot the Warlord in the Command Barge. Apparently the Command Barge has the Fly special rule, so my Onager Dunecrawler received a +1 to his hits thanks to Skyfire. Thanks to that, I put about 6 wounds or so on him. Not enough to kill him, but whatever.

My opponent then moved his Triarch Stalker and the rest of his Immortals closer, but this time he split his fire because he realized just how dangerous my Onager Dunecrawler with the Icarus array was. That guy is my MVP, taking down the Doomscythe and threatening his Command Barges. But he only took out 5 wounds on my Icarus Array Onager Dunecrawler, leaving him with 6 wounds. On the other hand, the Immortals' Tesla pinged off 2 wounds from my neutron laser Dunecrawler in the corner, leaving him with only 4 wounds. Uh oh.

Turn 5

I could finally move my Kastelan robots up and they could see the Triarch Stalker and fire at him, though they suffer -1 penalty to their BS for moving (heavy phosphor blasters are heavy weapons) and needed 5+ to hit. Even worse, only 2 or 3 could see the guy, because the 4th one's line of view was blocked. Still, I took off about 6 or so wounds from the Triarch Stalker, which meant he had to hit on 4+s now.

Needless to say, my neutron laser Onager Dunecrawlers and Tech-priest Dominus did nothing. The wounded one missed all his shots, but the unscathed one managed to kill 1 Immortal. Whoopeedo.

My Icarus array Onager Dunecrawler then shot down the Command Barge with the Warlord, gaining me another killpoint as well as Slay the Warlord. Woohoo!

Needless to say, the Triarch Stalker wiped out the wounded Onager Dunecrawler and the Command Barge put 5 wounds on the poor Onager Dunecrawler. On the other hand, the surviving Immortals fired on my Icarus array Onager Dunecrawler with their tesla weapons, and did 5 to 6 wounds...only for me to make all my armor saves. He survived! Woohoo!

Turn 6

My Tech-priest Dominus only managed to heal 1 wound from the neutron laser Dunecrawler next to him, and I was about to fire on the Triarch Stalker and last squad of Immortals when my opponent conceded out of frustration. He had nothing much left that could kill my Kastelan robots and my remaining Onager Dunecrawlers, while my Kastelan robots were posed to either destroy his Triarch Stalker or Immortals, and my Onager Dunecrawler with Icarus array would have destroyed the remaining Command Barge, which only recovered about 3 wounds (so taking 3 wounds thanks to the 6 mortal wounds at the end of turn 2) by now. There was little he could do, so he forfeited out of frustration.

I feel sorry for him. Even though I cut down on the number of Imperial Knights and only brought 1 game, it seemed that the Adeptus Mechanicus list of heavy support units are pretty...strong. My opponent had used up all 6 of his Command Points by then, and I only spent 2 out of my 4 by the end of the game. Huh...

This is weird. Is Adeptus Mechanicus supposed to be this strong? Keep in mind, this isn't even an optimized list, my Kastelan robots were out of position for quite some time, and I had 14 points to spare. I probably would have done better if I had swapped one neutron laser for another icarus array and swapped my Knight Errant for a Kngiht Warden. That would probably drive my poor opponent even crazier.

It also helped that he had some crazy rolls. Rolling snake eyes with his Triarch Stalkers at least twice and failing to wound my Kight Errant and Onager Dunecrawler. Oh well. I asked if he wanted to reroll those but he rather spent his Command Points elsewhere, which he did. I think he spent one on the Doomscythe to make sure it killed my Knight Errant. Other than that, it was a pretty bad game for him, and I felt bad for making it so one-sided. Even though I only brought one Knight Errant this time, it was a pretty...lopsided match. Must be the rolls. He would have done more damage if his Triarch Stalker didn't roll those ones, but it was not meant to be.

At least he killed my Knight by turn 2. So moral victory for him there.

In the end, I won the killpoint game 7 to 4 (my opponent gets 3 points for killing a super-heavy). I killed 5 of his units, had a point from First Blood and another from Slay the Warlord. My Onager Dunecrawler probably was close enough to get Linebreaker, so it could have gone up to 8. Yeah. That was bad.

Anyway, I had fun, and the Imperial Knights of House Yato and the Adeptus Mechanicus forces of Forge World Draconis IV have successfully protected this part of Astaramis from the Necrons this week! This Saturday I will hopefully get to play against a Chaos army, and I'll make sure to bring out my big guns (my 3 Imperial Knights) so stay tuned!

Why 3 Imperial Knights this time? Well...because my opponent is bringing a Renegade Knight! This will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment